Реферирование и индексированиеRussian Science Citation Index
Referativny Zhurnal VINITI RAS
Электронные версии в PDFElibrary.ru
East View Information Services
University Library Online
Это произведение доступно по лицензии Creative Commons «Attribution» («Атрибуция») 4.0 Всемирная.
Minimum Reserve Requirements for Commercial Banks: Theory and Practice
Importance The article examines the rate of reserve requirements as a monetary policy tool.
Objectives I give a more profound theoretical view of the way reserve requirements for commercial banks influence monetary and credit processes.
Methods I rely upon formal logic, systems approach and analysis of statistical data.
Results I specify the macroeconomic mechanism of minimum reserve requirements. In this respect, I give a walk-through example of changes in reserve requirements and their effects on the quantity of cash and non-cash money as part of the central bank’s monetary policy, including inflation targeting. I present my own system of equations for monetary and credit aspects. It helps understand how changes in minimum reserve requirements influence the quantity of both cash and non-cash money in the economy (considering the demand for it).
Conclusions and Relevance Being a monetary policy tool, statutory reserves can be used for microeconomic purposes of the national economy during crises, i.e. supporting the liquidity of the banking system as commercial banks can use them. However, there is a stable correlation between the demand for cash and non-cash money (in the short- and mid-term). Thus, altered minimum reserve requirements induce not only changes in the amount of non-cash money in the economy, but also cash. In this respect, the central bank cannot use the minimum reserve rate as a tool of the monetary policy unless it adjusts the amount of cash money circulating in the economy.
Ключевые слова: central bank, cash, noncash, money supply, reserve requirements, statutory reserve
- Pronchatov E.A. [Reserve requirements of the Bank of Russia in the service of social and economic policy of the State]. Bankovskoe delo = Banking, 2011, no. 7, pp. 21–24. (In Russ.)
- Frolova E.E., Karmadonova E.V. [Reserve requirements as an instrument of monetary policy]. Grazhdanin i pravo, 2014, no. 1, pp. 28–35. (In Russ.)
- Pashkovskaya I.V. [Philosophers' stone of bank system]. Bankovskie uslugi = Banking Services, 2014, no. 3, pp. 8–12. (In Russ.)
- Kovtun Z.O. Developments in Money Multiplier after the Crisis. European Social Science Journal, 2014, no. 3-1, pp. 415–425. (In Russ.)
- Uryupina A.A. [The banking sector in terms of a restraining monetary policy]. Bankovskie uslugi = Banking Services, 2008, no. 7, pp. 2–4. (In Russ.)
- Berdyshev A.V. [Essence of required reserves and practice of their usage in Russia]. Audit i finansovyi analiz = Audit and Financial Analysis, 2008, no. 1, pp. 13–18. URL: http://www.auditfin.com/fin/2008/1/Berdishev/Berdishev%20.pdf (In Russ.)
- Goidenko Yu.N. [Notes to the discussions of the money multiplier]. Ekonomika i predprinimatel'stvo = Journal of Economy and Entrepreneurship, 2012, no. 3, pp. 65–68. (In Russ.)
- Igumnov O.A., Lyu Sh. [Monetary policy of the State: essence and tools]. Ekonomika i sotsium, 2015, no. 2-2, pp. 676–679. (In Russ.) URL: http://iupr.ru/domains_data/files/sborniki_jurnal/Zhurnal%20_2(15)%202.pdf
- Phung The Dong. [Evaluating the effectiveness of reserve requirements in monetary policy of Vietnam]. Internet-zhurnal Naukovedenie, 2014, no. 1, pp. 82–83. (In Russ.) URL: https://naukovedenie.ru/PDF/10TVN114.pdf
- Kuz'mina V.S., Kuz'mina O.Yu. [Effectiveness of tools of monetary policy of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation in the context of their influence on real production sector]. Ekonomika i sotsium, 2016, no. 8, pp. 240–247. (In Russ.) URL: http://iupr.ru/domains_data/files/zurnal_27/Kuzmina%20V.S.,.pdf
- Stepanova A.M. [Features of development of the domestic mechanism of monetary regulation]. Бiзнес iнформ, 2015, no. 9, pp. 325–330. (In Russ.) URL: http://www.business-inform.net/export_pdf/business-inform-2015-9_0-pages-325_330.pdf
- Harris L. Denezhnaya teoriya [Monetary Theory]. Moscow, Progress Publ., 1990, 750 p.
- Novashina T.P., Karpunin V.I., Volnin V.A. [Mechanisms of functioning reserve requirements in a context of maintenance financial stability of banks]. Ekonomicheskie nauki = Economic Sciences, 2008, no. 40, pp. 319–331. (In Russ.)
- Andryushin P.A., Burlachkov V.K. [The mechanism of the monetary multiplier: the world and Russian practice]. Bankovskoe delo = Banking, 2015, no. 12, pp. 4–11. (In Russ.)
- Yurkova G.V., Zalunina L.V. [A look at surplus liquidity in the banking sector]. Den'gi i kredit = Money and Credit, 2013, no. 4, pp. 47–59. (In Russ.)
- Burlachkov V. [Money supply: theory and organization]. Voprosy Ekonomiki, 2005, no. 3, pp. 48–60. (In Russ.)
- Kosukhin P.P. [Currency issue in bank system]. Nauchnye trudy Vol'nogo ekonomicheskogo obshchestva Rossii = Transactions of the Free Economic Society of Russia, 2010, no. 136, pp. 277–283. (In Russ.)
- Stella P. Do Central Banks Need Capital? IMF Working Paper, 1997, no. 97/83, 39 p. URL: http://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2016/12/30/Do-Central-Banks-Need-Capital-2260
ISSN 2311-9438 (Online)
ISSN 2073-8005 (Print)
Свежий номер журнала