Реферирование и индексированиеRussian Science Citation Index
Referativny Zhurnal VINITI RAS
Электронные версии в PDFElibrary.ru
East View Information Services
University Library Online
Это произведение доступно по лицензии Creative Commons «Attribution» («Атрибуция») 4.0 Всемирная.
Assessment of Time Effects in BRICS Markets
Importance This article considers and discusses the issues related to the determination of temporal effects on the securities markets of the BRICS nations.
Objectives The article aims to identify temporal effects on the stock markets of the BRICS countries, as well as determine the efficiency of these markets, and provide practical recommendations for increasing the yield of the securities portfolio.
Methods For the study, I used the regression and econometric analyses approaches applying the Microsoft Excel and Gretl software.
Results The article presents certain results of identification and evaluation of five temporal effects on the stock markets of the BRICS countries, as well as it determines the efficiency of these markets. Also, it submits practical recommendations to increase the yield of the investment portfolio. The revealed temporal effects testify to the inefficiency of the stock markets and assume the possibility to derive excess return if they are taken into account when building a trade strategy.
Conclusions and Relevance For a number of the indexes considered, temporal effects are typical. This contradicts the efficient-market hypothesis, according to which the financial asset quotes get formed independently, which does not allow to draw an excess yield.
Ключевые слова: stock market, time effect, day-of-the-week effect, month-of-the-year effect, quarter-of-the-year effect
- Fama E.F. The Behavior of Stock-Market Prices. The Journal of Business, 1965, vol. 38, iss. 1, pp. 34–105. URL: Link
- Davis M.H.A. Louis Bachelier's “Theory of Speculation”. URL: Link
- French K.R. Stock Returns and the Weekend Effect. Journal of Financial Economics, 1980, vol. 8, iss. 1, pp. 55–69. URL: Link90021-5
- Rogalski R.J. New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-Trading Periods: A Note. The Journal of Finance, 1984, vol. 39, iss. 5, pp. 1603–1614. URL: Link
- Harris L. A Transaction Data Study of Weekly and Intradaily Patterns in Stock Returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 1986, vol. 16, iss. 1, pp. 99–117. URL: Link90044-9
- Ariel R.A. A Monthly Effect in Stock Returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 1987, vol. 18, iss. 1, pp. 161–174. URL: Link90066-3
- Lakonishok J., Smidt S. Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety-Year Perspective. Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, 1988, vol. 1, iss. 4, pp. 403–425.
- Pettengill G.N., Jordan B.D. A Comprehensive Examination of Volume Effects and Seasonality in Daily Security Return. The Journal of Financial Research, 1988, vol. 11, iss. 1, pp. 57–70. URL: Link
- Liano K., Lindley J.T. An Analysis of the Weekend Effect within the Monthly Effect. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 1995, vol. 5, iss. 4, pp. 419–426.
- Keef S.P., Roush M.L. Day-of-the-Week Effects in the Pre-holiday Returns of the Standard and Poor's 500 Stock Index. Applied Financial Economics, 2005, vol. 15, iss. 2, pp. 107–119. URL: Link
- Jaffe J., Westerfield R. The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence. The Journal of Finance, 1985, vol. 40, iss. 2, pp. 433–454. URL: Link
- Aggarwal R., Rivoli P. Seasonal and Day-of-the-Week Effects in Four Emerging Stock Markets. The Financial Review, 1989, vol. 24, iss. 4, pp. 541–550.
- Marrett G.E., Worthington A. The Day-of-the-Week Effect in the Australian Stock Market: An Empirical Note on the Market, Industry and Small Cap Impacts. International Journal of Business and Management, 2008, vol. 3, iss. 1, pp. 3–8. URL: Link
- Mbululu D., Chipeta C. Day of the Week Effect: Evidence from Nine Economic Sectors of JSE. Investment Analysis Journal, 2012, vol. 41, iss. 75, pp. 55–65.
- Kurashinov M. [“Wednesday effect”, or The national trait of the Russian securities market]. Rynok tsennykh bumag = Securities Market, 2004, no. 24, pp. 13–15. (In Russ.) URL: Link
- McGowan C.B. Jr., Ibrihim I. An Analysis of the Day-of-the-Week Effect in the Russian Stock Market. International Business & Economics Research, 2009, vol. 8, iss. 9, pp. 25–30. URL: Link
- Singleton J.C., Wingender J.R. The Nonparallel Weekend Effect in the Stock and Bond Markets. The Journal of Financial Research, 1994, vol. 17, iss. 4, pp. 531–538. URL: Link
- Thatcher J.S., Blenman L.P. Synthetic Trades and Calendar Day Patterns: The Case of the Dollar/Sterling Markets. The Financial Review, 2001, May, vol. 36, iss. 2, pp. 177–200. Available at SSRN: Link
- Liano K., Huang G.-C., Gup B.E. A Twist on the Monday Effect in Stock Returns: A Note. Journal of Economics and Business, 1993, vol. 45, iss. 1, pp. 61–67. URL: Link90006-A
- Johnston E.T., Kracaw W.A., McConnell J.J. Day-of-the-Week Effects in Financial Futures: An Analysis of GNMA, T-Bond, T-Note, and T-Bill Contracts. The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 1991, vol. 26, iss. 1, pp. 23–44. URL: Link
- Redman A.L., Manakyan H., Liano K. Real Estate Investment Trusts and Calendar Anomalies. Journal of Real Estate Research, 1997, vol. 14, iss. 1/2, pp. 19–28. URL: Link
- Sias R.W., Starks L.T. The Day-of-the-Week Anomaly: The Role of Institutional Investors. Financial Analysts Journal, 1995, vol. 51, iss. 3, pp. 58–67. Stable URL: Link
- Abraham A., Ikenberry D.L. The Individual Investor and the Weekend Effect. The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 1994, vol. 29, iss. 2, pp. 263–277. URL: Link
- Damodaran A. The Weekend Effect in Information Releases: A Study of Earnings and Dividend Announcements. The Review of Financial Studies, 1989, vol. 2, iss. 4, pp. 607–623. URL: Link
- Pettengill G.N., Wingender J.R. Jr., Kohli R. Arbitrage, Institutional Investors, and the Monday Effect. Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, 2003, vol. 42, iss. 3/4, pp. 49–63. URL: Link
- 26. Pettengill G.N. An Experimental Study of the 'Blue Monday' Hypothesis. The Journal of Socio-Economics, 1993, vol. 22, iss. 3, pp. 241–257. URL: Link90011-9
- Chow E.H., Hsiao P., Solt M.E. Trading Returns for the Weekend Effect Using Intraday Data. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 1997, vol. 24, iss. 3, pp. 425–444.
- Miller E.M., Prather L.J., Mazumder M.I. Day-of-the-Week Effects Among Mutual Funds. Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics, 2003, vol. 42, iss. 3/4, pp. 113–128. Stable URL: Link
- Fedorova E.A., Gilenko E.V. [Comparative analysis of the approaches to estimation of calendar effects in a financial market]. Audit i finansovyi analiz = Audit and Financial Analysis, 2008, no. 5, pp. 184–189. URL: Link (In Russ.)
ISSN 2311-9438 (Online)
ISSN 2073-8005 (Print)
Свежий номер журнала